Hola

[this is me trying to work out how I feel about the near-constant sexual harassment]

Walking back to work through the dusty streets of Rabat, I cross the street to avoid a group of young men a block in front of me. I don't even need to look at them, it happens automatically by now. As I walk past the construction directly across from them, they call to me "Hola....Hola!" Okay, so that wasn't as bad as it could have been, nothing gross, but I remark how I must look differently as they are trying Spanish with me, because I usually get plain English. Still, I can see wolf-like hunger in their eyes as I pass.

      I turn the corner and dodge two unsmiling women walking in suits and enter the building where I work. I teach at a small center that prepares Moroccan students to take American standardized tests, and its on the fourth floor of a building overlooking a busy intersection. I wait years for the elevator to take me up to the unlit hallway outside of our rented space. I use the key I grabbed on my way out the door the last time and quietly slide open the door, expecting classes to be in session. "Hola," my boss calls. 


Me very tired but very happy, a few months back, about to dig into a tagine.

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Citizen of the World . Blog Templates Designed by OddThemes - Bloggertemplates4u