Re-acculturation of me: Learning to live in my home again

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry
and narrow mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”
~ Mark Twain


I read this quote and I find that lately, I have fallen into these traps, of prejudice and narrow-mindedness in some small way, when I struggle to find meaning in the place in which I find myself. After so many months in the same town, I feel a distinct need to get out, and not only that, but that what I have outside my door is less than what I got used to when I was far away. I struggle to remember when I returned, why I pined for the friendly mannerisms of the people of Iowa when I finally found myself back at home. I find that I have to remind myself that this place is a place many people not only enjoy, but un-ironically love. I can’t quite bring myself to love this place right now, but I’m open to it. I see this quote in the context of my life, in the fact that I feel that when I become to sedentary, I stop seeing the good in the world around me. In  my experience, the only cure to this feeling is to see somewhere else. They say the grass is always greener on the other side, but for me, seeing the other side is the only way I can appreciate my own yard.



circa 2016

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Citizen of the World . Blog Templates Designed by OddThemes - Bloggertemplates4u